Thursday, 17 April 2008

Konnyaku Jelly a.k.a. Konjac a.k.a. gonyak


In Asia people recognise konnyaku as an health food. They also make noodles of it, which are high in fiber and low in calories. A misunderstanding is that konnyaku is a product from seaweed, but it actually is made of Konnyaku potato's. You can make it will all sorts of fruit and best of all, it's not an animal product, and suitable for vegetarians/vegans.

These jelly's come in different flavours like: lychee, melon, guava, mango or plain natural. Unfortunately it is not sold very often in Asian supermarkets in the Netherlands. I bought mine packages in Oriental Wholesale Supermarket in Amsterdam. I prefer this jelly over gelatine or agar agar jelly. They have a different texture and are firmer, but make sure kids chew it before they swallow it! These don't disolve in your mouth. Hope it will become more popular here!


Like all sort of jelly's, it's a matter of boiling water, disolving powder and sugar, let it cool and you have your refreshing snack. These lychee flavoured jelly hold a lychee inside. Easy to use canned lychee, but you can also use fresh fruits ofcours.


They also make beautiful mango flavoured jelly koi fish!! ^_^

5 comments:

QQ red apple said...

hi crystal,
thanks for telling where can I buy konyaku powder. I've been find so long already, will go to r'dam oriental supermarket to find out. Hopefully can get some.

Tanyam said...

Hi Chrystal,

ik heb je een paar dagen geleden geschreven, maar kan het niet terugvinden en kan dus niet zien of je me teruggeschreven hebt.
Schrijf me naar Tanyam at post punt com

pansy said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Kate
http://educationonline-101.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I bought Konnyaku jelly powder in Phoon Huat, SG. We ate lots in Singapore and we often made our own.

http://www.phoonhuat.com/special.htm

Mochachocolata Rita said...

i absolutely love nutrijell konyaku powder :) but i have to go all the way to causeway bay to get it :p (lazy)