Sunday, 30 September 2007

Nem Chua - Vietnamese spiced sausage-like pork

Yes I know.. the title is a bit funny, but I didn't know how to describe it. First time buy, first time try.
I always have seen these funny pink pachages in the Chinese supermarket, but never knew what they were. So one day I asked someone who worked there.."Excuse me, sir? Can you tell me what this is?" "Ehm.. sorry. I don't know either". Well, there was nothing left than buy and try!


I read the label and it was in French. My French is good enough to understand that it is pork meat with spices. It also had a tip how to serve it on the back of the label. "Cook for 15 minutes on low heat, serve with vermicelli. Add Nuoc Nam too taste." Doesn't sound too hard to prepare, huh?

I can't say that I liked it or hate it. The meat was a bit sour and funny was that I expected it to change in colour after it was cooked. Added some fried tofu and fishballs, incase I didn't like them and had nothing to go with my vermicelli.

Have you tried them? Is there a different way to eat them?

Let's see what my next grocceries shopping trip will get me..

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

nerd, you eat it raw..

Anonymous said...

owh btw, its me, cammy :P

Chrystal said...

Oooh that's not what the label said, Cam cam.. the label said in French that you need to boil it for 15 minutes :P.. but I don't know.. You might be right..

But it looks too pink.. What's with the raw meat people???

Anonymous said...

Hey~

:P I dont know, but I always eat it raw. (its actually already cooked) And also, you have to wait for a couple of days before you can consume it (when the meat become harder)

haha.. I learned it from mimi and DD.. :P

KissY Cam

Anonymous said...

Yes you should eat it raw!

No it's not cooked yet! It's raw! And the reason you have to wait for a couple of days before you eat it, is because when it's newly packed, the meat isn't really sour yet. So it won't have much flavour. It's true that nem chua is really soft when it's being made. But it hardens in a matter of hours.

The package usually shows the packaging date and you'll have to wait at least 1 week for it to get to the right flavour.

The main ingredients are raw pork, pig skin and garlic(also nuoc mam and stuff like that)


Dang-Vu

Anonymous said...

you can eat it raw, but sometimes it tastes funny, its like theres too much corn stach on it, in that case u can fry it, it taste much better than boiling it... i tried so different ways to cook it and the best thing its the frying style!

Anonymous said...

does anyone know where i can buy this? in bulk? bag of 20 say...

Anonymous said...

We never boil these. When they are ready to eat, they should be hard. They are made with spices, raw pork and fermented powder. Soft when first made and will be hard and ready in a day or two. You can eat it just like that, no need to cook. It tastes best when served with rice noodle, vietnamese egg roll, mint veggies and fish sauce

I sometimes eat it with french style bread too, with some fresh hot chile. It tastes the best. I love Nem Chua

Anonymous said...

This is a favourite snack of mine, best consumed on a hot day with a nice cold beer. I have never ever cooked it and imagine it would spoil the taste...