Sunday, 9 September 2007

Loh Mai Chi a.k.a. Muah Chee - Snow ball with Peanut filling

This chewy sweet snack shaped as a snow ball can be compared with Thong Yuen. Like the Thong Yuen, the dough is mainly maid with glutinious rice flour and the filling can vary. My favorite filling is the peanut sugar mix, but sweet red bean paste and milk/egg custard are also commonly available in Chinese bakery shops.



Ingredients (makes 12 pcs)
Dough
  • Glutinour Rice Flour - 200 grams
  • Corn Starch - 2 tbsp
  • Water - 300 ml
  • Peanut oil - 2 tbsp
Filling
  • Peanuts (roasted, not salted) - 100 grams
  • Granulated Sugar - 35 grams (Dutch, kristalsuiker)
Dust
  • Desiccated Coconut - 50 grams (Dutch, cocosrasp)
  • Glutinours Rice Flour - 50 grams

Mix the glutinous rice flour, corn starch and the water untill you have a smooth batter. Add the peanut oil and mix untill the mixture is blended and smooth.

Steam the batter over high heat for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the filling by grinding the peanuts fine and mix it with granulated sugar.


After the steaming the batter should be turned into a sticky dough. Use a pair of chopsticks to stir the dough a bit. You will feel that the dough is very sticky and solid.


As the dough is very sticky, you will need some glutinous rice flour to dust the dough off. This way the dough will nog stick to your fingers, while you try to form it.

Use a tablespoon to scoop a big spoon full of dough into the flour.


Cover the dough with flour. Form the dough into a cirkle as big as your palm.


Fill with 1 table spoon of peanut mix. Close the opening kneading.
The ball is formed.

Dip the ball in water and cover with coconut.


Ready to be eaten!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

waitin 4 moon cake's :D

Cam

Yin said...

You know you're making my parents very happy with this..? LOL, I'm gonna make them this upcoming weekend for them.

Also, in reaction to Cam, I'll make moon cakes as well.. did you try those already? Because I have several recipes, but am really curious how they'll turn out. So if you're gonna make some too, can't wait to see your result!

Thanks again, Chrystal! :D

Chrystal said...

Hi Yin,

I am glad that you like the recipe :-). Nice to hear.. Let me know how it turned out :D..

Cammy kinda spoiled the suprise :P hahaha.. I haven't tried it yet, but since it is my first time, I thought if I do not succeed, I won't post it.

I hope it will turn out GREAT :P..

shanshan said...

waaah loh mai chii.. sweeeeeeeeet .. My fave. =P

x shan

CC said...

Crystal cheche!! I like this recipe! Very easy! I made it yesterday! not so beauty like urs :S. but it was ok :D.

x Moon

CC said...

Crystal che? could this one also made with red bean pasta?? Because wane try :S. Yeah shanshan said it too, we had the same plates LOL. My sister bought it LOL.

X Moon

Suanne said...

Hi Crystal, your lo mei chi looks great. My mouth is watering already.

Ben said...

Note to self:
Buy flowers and speak to Suanne to make the Lo Mei Chi the yummy way that Crystal makes it.
Ben

Chrystal said...

@CC
Yes you can just replace the peanut filling with red bean. You can buy it in a tin from Chinese Supermarkets

@Suanne & Ben
You two are so cute. I wish I received flowers for every baking/cooking request from my bf :-D

evisionary said...

Glutinous rice flour used as "Dust" is uncooked or cooked?

Pls describe what kind of "dust" flour is used for the ordinary glutinous rice balls with peanut filling which we find in pasar malam. How do we prepare this flour "dust"?

CE Ling

Anonymous said...

Please put the recipe of your mango filled ones on here!! They were yumm!! I'm not really a big fan of the peanut-sugar filling:(

Dang-Vu

Maggie said...

Hi Chrystal!

Thanks a lot for this recipe! I tried it last Saturday and your clear instructions made it so easy :). In the beginning I had to figure out how to handle the sticky dough but it got easier. I have posted a picture on my blog maggsterslaboratory.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

hihi . Im planning to make this tonight . I was also wonder how do i make the milk/egg custard.. do i steam it to make it sort of like a paste? Because ill be trying to make sesame seed ball with egg custard filling instead of the red bean paste :D. Little help :d?

Anonymous said...

will the flour used for shaping the dough be uncooked?/

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe! Chrystal, do you have a recipe for this kind of balls, but with brown/black sugar taste? I buy those from supermarket. Ingredient info says redbean paste and black sugar... it has a stronger taste - maybe molasses?? Wish i could make that kind of sweet/sticky balls... Thanks!

Sweetbug

Sandra said...

Hi Chrystal, Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe. I made it today, hubby and I love it so much that it will be our kuih for regular tea time. ;)

Simonne said...

wow.. ur muah chee looks great!

Chelli bean said...

Im not sure what I did wrong, but my rice flour mixture is taking AGES to cook - to get that translucency colour and thicken up to a roll-able consistency. I steamed it uncovered like you had in the picture ... but after more than half hour and its still not cooked, I put a lid on top of just the bowl of rice flour mixture to hopefully help it along. Its still steaming and just beginnning to get that translucency and its nearly 45 mins now. Do you know what I did wrong?

Chrystal said...

Hi chelli,

Have you doubled the volume in dough? If so it will require a longer steaming time and using a cloth for the lid will be advised. Also try to use a tray for the dough that is not too deep. Only put the dough in the pan to steam when the water is boiling and keep it on high steam.

Hope it turned out fine!
Chrystal

Anonymous said...

How many balls does this make?