Friday, 31 August 2007

Kue Mangkok - Steamed Coconut cup cakes

I sit in the office together with Sylvia and we share a room. A few weeks ago I asked her what her favourite snack is. So I would try and make it for her. She told me that she loved Kue Mangkok (kue=cake, mangkok=cup)when she was little and I had no idea what it was. She explained that her mom comes from Indonesia and she used to make it for her and she would be sent to the store to buy coloured soda water. They used the soda water to colour the cakes and it suppose to help the cake to rise.

I promised I would try to make it for her.. But I couldn't find a recipe that used sodawater for the cakes. The only recipes I found that used soda were in Malay language. So I made the recipe without the soda instead.


Ingredients (makes 8)

  • Flour - 200 grams
  • Sugar - 150 grams
  • Baking Powder - 2 tsp
  • Salt - 1/2 tsp
  • Warm Water - 200ml
  • Coconut rasp - 100grams
  • Strawberry flavour/colouring - 1 tsp (optional)
  1. You need sandtart cups, line them with papercups. Start to boil the water for the steampan.
  2. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a bowl. Add the water and the colouring and mix well.
  3. Fill the cups for 2/3 and steam over high heat for 15 min. The cakes are ready when they open up like flowers.
  4. Sprinkle some rasped coconut on top of the cakes.
Easy as that! Piece of cake!
You can eat them either warm or cooled!

Sylvia loved them and ate two in one go. She said it tasted just like her mom's. Isn't that the best reaction you can get?

Tip: I think that if you want to use sodawater, you should use 100ml boiled water and 110ml coloured soda.

9 comments:

Kan said...

Hi Shan Shan's sister!!!
I'm her Australian friend haha (met randomly) and I just want to say that your recipes and this site are cool but I haven't got a chance to make any of them yet, but I would really like it if you can write a recipe on how to make those "long so tong" the ones with like lots of coconut and sesame seeds covered in this white candy strings haha XD

shanshan said...

wwwwooww.. they look like charsiubao.. they look very good..
hmmm.. bao baoooo..

Chrystal said...

Hi Kan, Shanshan's randomly met Ozzy frend :-)..
Happy you like my blog.

After our message I went and look for a recipe for "Dragon Wishkers Candy". That is a lot of effort for 1 little candy! :P.. I'll try to make it in the future. Have to practise my skills first.

Lannie Loke said...

Hi Crystal,

If you need help in Malay, I can help you in translation. I'm a Malaysian - Chinese residing in Netherlands.

By the way, the word 'kue' is suppose to be 'kueh'. The word 'kueh' spelling is from Indonesia language, and 'kuih' is from Malay language.

Ciao!

Lannie

QQ red apple said...

hi,
great kuih mangkuk. may I ask something, does your kuih turn a bit hard after cold or overnight? Nice site with nice food, will try your recipes soon.
I'm a malaysian - chinese residing in netherlands, just come back from malaysia (summer break) and know you through my site. Hahahha.... nice to meet you.

Anonymous said...

hahahaha cha sieuw pauw =p lijkt op cha sieuw pauw lol ziet er lekker uit =p
coconut lekkere smaak .

-xxx- sai bb

Chrystal said...

Hi QQ,

:-D nice to meet you too!
I actually do not know how they turn overnight, because they didn't last that long.. haha.. My colleague ate 2 in one go and had another one later in the day.. I gave the rest to her to take home. I had 2.. But I read somewhere else that the original recipe is with rice flour? I don't know la.. So many different recipes..

Chrystal said...

Hi Lannie,

Thanks for your explanation. Somehow the Indonesian Toko sells it like "Kue". Don't know why le..

Ooh and I appreciate your offer, to translate recipes :).. I found an English one finally! Good stuff..

Shanshan & Sai B.. I'll make Cha Siu Bao another time ;-)..

Rahmi said...

I did try the recipe but it does not work. The tip did not open up like flower as i expected. I assume that i have to leave the mixture for a while before we steam it.