Sunday, 1 July 2007

Pud Jai Ko - Claypot Pudding

I always treat myself on a Pud Jai Ko 砵仔糕 when I am in Chinatown doing my groceries. Today I found out how some puddings are white and some are brown. It depends on the colour of the sugar you use! I always thought it was the red beans that coloured the pudding. I am used to the brown Pud Jai Ko's, so I made brown ones.


Ingredients (makes 4)
Red Beans
  • Red Beans - 3 tbsp soaked overnight
Dough Paste
  • Rice Flour - 100 grams
  • Ungluten Flour (wheat starch) - 75 grams
  • Glutinous Flour - 1/2 tbsp
  • Water - 150ml
Syrup
  • Sugar - 100 grams (castor sugar or white rock sugar for white pudding, brown sugar slab for brown pudding)
  • Water - 375ml

Prepare the dough paste by sifting the flour ingredients and add water to the flour. Mix it till it becomes a smooth paste.

Boil water for the syrup and disolve the sugar in the water.

Add the syrup and the soft red beans with the dough paste. Mix it well and devide it in little clay pots. If you do not have claypots you can use rice bowls. Steam it for 20 minutes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

child favorite....always a favorite....

Deze zal ik ook maar uitproberen.


Angie

Chrystal said...

:-D wel de rode bonen hele nacht laten weken..anders blijven ze hard.. is pijnlijk voor de tandjes :)

Anonymous said...

Moet nog rode bonen kopen heb ze niet standaard in huis.

Heb wel sojabonen ergens liggen....ga die vannacht laten weken en morgen sojamelk maken.

Angie

Monica said...

Hi! i don't know if you check this blog anymore but i wonder if you can write down the three diffrent flours to me in chinese?