Sunday, 24 June 2007

Loh Bat Ko - Turnip Cake

Thank you to my sister Shan for taking the pictures!

I made turnip cake, 蘿蔔糕, for my guests yesterday(my sister, 2 cousins and 1 cousins boyfriend) and one of my cousin actually asked me what it was when I got it out of the steamer. Fortunately everyone else could recognise what it was. They all wanted seconds :-)

For Moon - Pay attention now...



Ingredients
  • Turnips - 1.5 kg
  • Rice Flour - 425 gram
  • Ungluten Flour - 75 gram (I used wheatstarch, you can use Maizena also)
  • Chinese Mushrooms - 8
  • Chinese Sausage - 175 gram (Lap Cheung)
  • Water - 4 cups
  • Salt - 1,5 tbsp
  • Shakes of Pepper
  • Dash of Sesame Oil
  • (Optional) dried small Shrimp (Ha Mai)
Soak the dried shrimp and mushrooms first.

Prepare the turnip by cutting it into smaller pieces. I used the food processor. Though there are people these days who still like to cut it by hand. After the turnip is shredded you put it in a pan with one cup of water and cook it for 20 minutes



Mean while dice the Chinese mushrooms. Clean the dried shrimps. Dice the Chinese sausage. Stir-fry the mushrooms, shrimps and sausage. Add some sesame oil.



Mix the flour (rice flour and the starch) ingredients with 3 cups of water well to prepare the batter.




Add the salt and pepper to the turnips. Pour the batter with the turnips, stir to get a sticky consitency. Add the other ingredients and mix well.




Pour the mixture into a greased tin. Smooth the top and steam for 40 minutes. Test if it is ready with a toothpick. Let it cool, slice and fry till it is golden brown on both side. I like it with chilli and Hoi-Sin sauce.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robert go!!! :P

Moon said...

thanks crystal cheche!! voor de recept! ik ga binnekort proberen te maken als het me lukt!

kus Moon